Lobelia uses satellite data, computational intelligence and climate information for the creation of strategic plans and the definition of adaptation measures in the face of the climate emergency.
Lobelia’s team is composed of passionate experts in physics, earth sciences, graphic design, computer science, engineering and business. We apply this interdisciplinary knowledge to actual products people use and want to use. We work with trusted data providers and have a growing network of international collaborators that are as engaged as we are to drive for change.
Lobelia is hiring a Senior Software Geo Data Engineer to strengthen its core product team. Your work agenda will be at first driven by the development of a specific project sponsored by an international NGO. This 2-year activity aims to develop a remote sensing monitoring system to trigger Payments for Environmental Services (PES) of reforestation and assisted natural regeneration, via CO2 offsetting.
1. What you will do
Your primary role will be to design, develop, test, deploy and maintain new elements of the operational processing chains. At Lobelia, this means:
- getting to know the ins and outs of satellite data access,
- big data processing chains, optimisation and preparation of analysis-ready data in a cloud infrastructure
- putting physical and AI/ML models into production
We’re looking for a seasoned software engineer that loves creating solid solutions to challenging problems, and that can own major parts of the system.
2. What you will bring
- Creating processing pipelines for EO imagery and knowledge of geospatial data structures (large GeoTIFFs, HDF5, GeoJSON, etc.).
- Experience in designing and implementing storage capabilities for structured and unstructured data (PostgreSQL preferred).
- Cloud computing and storage systems (AWS, GCP or Azure).
- Experience developing distributed back-end services (e.g. designing and implementing APIs, developing algorithms, accessing back-end services and databases).
- Experience in deployment clusters (Kubernetes or ECS), building containers (docker, or OCI/Buildah) and creating DAG-like workflows (e.g. using Apache Airflow).
- A love for computational optimisation.
- Test-driven and documented development methodology to produce high-quality and modular code.
- Effective interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
- A master’s degree in Computer Science or similar.
- Experience with Apache Hadoop and the Hadoop ecosystem.
- Experience with deployment of production-ready ML products.
- Experience in the remote sensing field e.g. geospatial analysis tools (dask, xarray) and standards (COG, STAC, OGCAPI), satellite data processing techniques (calibration, geo-referencing, orthorectification, gridding, mosaicking etc..).
3. What we offer
We offer a full-time, permanent position, with a competitive salary. The location for this vacancy is in Barcelona.
Our flexible working conditions not only exist on paper. All of us take advantage of this flexibility and use it for a balanced working life.
We offer challenging topics having a societal impact, the best gear to work on them, a stimulating and diverse working environment and an international network of trusted companies and experts we work with on a daily basis.
But above all, we offer the unique chance to work at the forefront of a social and economic movement to raise awareness on climate change and use evidence-based insights to cope with it in an effective way.
4. Tell us about you
If you want to apply for this vacancy, send us an email at email@example.com telling us about your past, present and ideal future work. Send us your résumé or portfolio, and show us something you’ve worked on that makes you feel great. We will also be very pleased to see some OSS you’ve created or how you set up your IDE.
Thanks for your interest. We can’t wait to hear from you.
- Full-time, permanent position, with a competitive salary
- Flexible working conditions